Important attributes: STR, CON, LUCK
Suggested starting skills
All Barbarian Weapons
Shield (either large or small)
Pick your maximum starting talents (1 for dual-classed, 3 for single-classed)
The primary attributes of a Barbarian are STR, CON and LUCK.
Barbarians must choose a non-lawful alignment. Most barbarians start the game with the Illiterate flaw though they may later buy this off by learning to read and write.
A barbarian is limited in the number of magic items they can carry. A barbarian can carry a maximum of (barbarian rank x 2) power levels of magic items. If more than this is carried, the barbarian cannot use any of their special abilities (listed below) and suffers a -2 to their LUCK. If the barbarian divests themselves of the excessive magic items, they can begin using their special abilities again, and regain their LUCK, after 1 hour.
A barbarian character can choose to double specialize in a single weapon from the All Barbarian Weapons list, single specialize in the entire All Barbarian Weapons skill or single specialize in two different weapons which do not need to be in the barbarian weapons list. See the skill All Barbarian Weapons for the list of weapons.
Barbarians are able to "sense" the presence of magic by concentrating on a specific object or area with 3 (+1/rank) feet. It is up to the character to decide the exact effect of this ability. Perhaps the barbarian is sensitive to the scent of magic or maybe the hairs on the back of their neck rise when they sense magic. To sense magic, the barbarian makes a skill roll with a bonus of ((MA - 15) x 3) + (Rank x 5).
- Absolute Success - The barbarian senses the presence and exact location of magic and can determine the power of the magic on a scale of 1 to X where X is equal to 10 or rank, whichever is less. The barbarian can also sense the college of magic if he has encountered the college before. If it is clerical magic, he can similarly sense the realm.
- Success - The barbarian senses the presence and exact location of magic and can determine the power of the magic on a scale of 1 to X where X is equal to 10 or rank, whichever is less.
- Near Success - The barbarian sense the presence of magic in a specific direction within range and can determine the power of the magic on a scale of 1 to X where X is equal to 10 or rank, whichever is less. Roll 1d6 on a 1 or 2, he understates the power of the magic by 1 or 2 levels, on a 3 or 4, he correctly states the power of the magic and on a 5 or 6, he overstates the power of the magic by 1 or 2.
- Partial Success - The barbarian senses the presence of magic within his area of effect, but nothing more.
- Failure - The barbarian senses no magic even if the object or area being scanned is magical.
- Absolute Failure - False positive or negative. If the object is magical, he senses no magic and if the object is not magical, he senses magic exactly as if he had rolled Success. Roll randomly for level of magic though it will always be in the lower one half of the barbarian's range.
- Blunder - As Absolute Failure. If object is not magical, the barbarian senses magic exactly as if he had rolled Absolute Success. Roll randomly for college/realm of magic and level
Barbarian's generally rely on their LUCK-based protection. At barbarian rank 6, they gain a +1 to the LUCK-based protection, as long as they are wearing nothing heavier than basic, non-magical leather armor and have no other magical items that grant protection. This bonus increases to +2 at rank 12. LUCK-based protection stacks with leather armor for barbarians
Affect Creatures that Normally Require Magic Weapons to Hit
Barbarians can affect creatures that normally require magic weapons to hit.
At rank 4, the barbarian can hit creatures that normally require a +1 weapon to hit.
At rank 6, the barbarian can hit creatures that normally require a +2 weapon to hit.
At rank 12, the barbarian can hit creatures that normally require a +3 weapon to hit.
At rank 16, the barbarian can hit creatures that normally require a +4 weapon to hit.
At rank 20, the barbarian can hit creatures that normally require a +5 weapon to hit.
Bonus to Magic Saving Throws
Barbarians gains a bonus to their magic saving throws equal to rank.
Required skills must be bought up to improve Overall Level. Required skills must be included when calculating Overall Level.
Required skills for Barbarian are:
- All Barbarian Weapons
- Hit Points
- Shield Large
Skill List Multiples
General - x1 (if dual-classed then x1.25)
Holy Skills - x1.5
Warrior Skills - x1.0
Sorcery Skills - x2.0
Rogue Skills - x1.5
Talents - x1.0